Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Book Talk




Right now light reading is a bit of a luxury while I'm still in school (and entertaining an active toddler). I justified picking up January First despite the hellish school schedule I have right now because it was just too compelling for me to ignore it. Child psychopathology is the focus of my academics right now so I figured at least I was learning something applicable to my classes.


___________________







Paper Towns by John Greene
January First   by Michael Shofield


January First- It’s the painful memoir of a father trying to cope with his little girl’s diagnose of childhood onset schizophrenia (COS). As a child with one of the youngest onsets and possibly severest cases of COS, January’s story is absolutely heart-wrenching. This book was at times uncomfortable for me because the narrator (Michael) is so at odds with not just his wife but the world at large. He was so desperate to understand his daughter that I feel like in some ways he tried to lose himself to her world too. I think what makes this story so compelling is that it speaks volumes to plights of many families who have to deal with mentally ill children. There is often very little support in the community or even on the national level for these parents and their sick children because mental illness isn't a "visible" issue. This was a very thought-provoking piece for sure.  

Paper Towns- And for a completely different kind of book, I have Paper Towns on my nightstand. I just started this one so verdict is still out but I have to say that I was a fan of Greene's other book Searching For Alaska so this one is promising. If you get the chance, check out his youtube channel. Trust me you won't be disappointed! I thought his opinions on The Catcher in the Rye were spot-on and clever. Actually that video was the reason why I read Greene's book in the first place.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. From the bottom of my heart, I appreciate it immensely!