Summer is definitely here to stay. At 106 degrees the other day our poor AC was working over time to keep the house cool. To me the heat down here is just downright unbearable. It's relentless. Last night we went outside at 9 and it was like walking into a sauna. It's times like this when I really start to miss Michigan, lazy summertime afternoons spent by the lake. I practically would live in my bathingsuit.
But Texas isn't all bad. On the contrary, I do enjoy getting up early and hopping into the car for a spontaneous adventure. Which is exactly what we did last weekend! While the papabear went off for a bikeride, us girls took a drive out to the country. The small blink town of Castroville is about 16 miles from San Antonio. It's quiet, quaint. We went on a sunday so all the tiny antique shops were closed but I'm thinking another trip is in order soon.
I mostly drove about, stopping to take pictures of interesting things along the way. Like this old house with it's darling stone fence line.
After a little while we stopped at the regional park and had an impromptu picnic in the shade! Rosie was all smiles, constantly tilting her head back to get a view of the tree branches swaying above us. She was absolutely mesmerized.
Have you ever seen a baby with such long eyelashes?
Later, Stephen joined us and we all sat by the river and enjoyed the breeze. It was great!
Sometimes I like to imagine what it might be like to live somewhere like Castroville. Somewhat remote, surrounded by open land. I've lived most of my life either on the pacific coast or in a semi-rural Michigan town. Either way I was always at least 20 minutes from a mall, a Walmart and an array of cardiac-arrest-inducing fast food joints. But I think I would enjoy the slow pace of a country lifestyle. After all it's one of my dreams someday to own a little bit of land and grow my own food. Who knows when that might happen though. For now I'll just stick to enjoying my small family outings.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. From the bottom of my heart, I appreciate it immensely!