Sunday, January 5, 2014

Getting the Family On Board with a Sustainable Lifestyle


Our weekend was spent celebrating Stephen’s birthday on Friday with a culinary explosion of the best chocolate cake (and frosting) any of us have ever ate. On Saturday we enjoyed the beautiful warm weather with a stroll through the farmer’s market where I learned about creamed honey and green eggs. My wannabe homesteader nerdness definitely showed through talking about bees!    


Which reminds me of a comment we overheard at the market.

“No chickens! I don’t want to take care of them when you are out of town. Besides, I already let you turn our front lawn into a vegetable garden,” the man declared to his wife.


It’s a funny thing when you get involved with a sustainable living lifestyle how it can turn into falling down a rabbit hole.  You start by shifting to a whole foods diet, learning about organic produce and GMO’s and before long you are growing your own little garden. Thankfully Stephen and I are on the same page with a lot of things, particularly our vision for a family homestead in the future. The goals have been part of a natural evolution in our family’s development as we have shifted our desire to a healthy and self-reliant lifestyle.

But differences are bound to come up, heavens knows when Stephen and I first started living together he was quite skeptical about organic food. I know a lot of people who start to make these sort of changes to their diet and routine and hit a roadblock with the rest of their families. (ex: "You want me to give up Oreos?!")



If say you are moving from the Standard American Diet (SAD) for instance to a strictly whole foods diet then be conscience of what you are asking of your partner and children.  Changes in diet such as that (even if they are for the best!) can sometimes feel a bit radical for the unprepared. There are a few things though to make it easier on everyone but it starts with one simple word: Patience.

Patience goes a long way.  Not just with others but with yourself too. Physically it takes time for tastebuds to adjust, especially if you have been eating a lot of processed foods with artificial sweeteners.  But also mentally people may have grown attached to certain products so give everybody time to adjust.

Another tip: make a yummy alternative to their processed food favorites. The fastest route to getting them to give up certain unhealthy snacks is by introducing something better! I switched out the granola bars we used to get at the store with a recipe I came up with. Not only is it healthier but it helps cut down on waste by not buying something that has a gazillion packaging which would just mean more trash for the landfill.


I think in the end what works best for your family is going to vary depending on your needs. And those needs might including taking baby steps towards the lifestyle you want.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great post! I haven't struggled as much with getting my husband on board as I have our parents/siblings when we visit home, especially when they want to feed Noah, etc. We try to share our info with them without being pushy/self-righteous, but it's hard because they get so offended and think we're insulting their food. They've come a LONG way in how they eat/live. These are good tips- especially making their favorite treats in a healthier way. My dad LOVES doritos, so I introduced him to Garden of Eatin's Red Hot Chips (gmo-free, organic) and he LOVES them. Small changes like that can make a huge difference in what we're putting in our bodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dealing with friends and extended family can definitely pose a different type of challenge for sure. I thought about including it in this post but figured I would save that discussion for later! Stay tuned ;)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. From the bottom of my heart, I appreciate it immensely!