Saturday, June 2, 2012

Mom in Heels

The other day I was presented with a strange situation. A male collegue of mine, upon seeing me out of uniform recently, made a comment on my shoes. Yes, my shoes.

"You are a mom now, you shouldn't be wearing heels!"

Ladies and gentlemen, I was confused to say the least. The heels in question are black, simple and relatively lower than other pairs I have. We aren't talking about anything outlandish here. My collegue meant well, but his comment made me realize that there seems to be this expectation that motherhood means sacrificing one's femininity. Trading in skinny jeans for sweats, heels for sneakers.

As a lover of fashion, that sort of banishment would be unbearable. Yes I am a mother. I love being a mom more than life itself but just don't touch my shoes. Or tell me I should dress in the dreaded mom!jeans. I am 23, not 43. I don't dress provocatively but I refuse to give up being a woman. Being beautiful and sexy should not just be reserved for date night or the rare occasion. I plan to rock this 24/7.

With an adorable baby on my hip.
Thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. From the bottom of my heart, I appreciate it immensely!